Saturday, March 15, 2008

My life is very busy!

Wow - I've been so busy and Sandi is very behind in keeping all my activities posted on my blog. (we need to have a talk about this!)

First of all, the VST (variable surface tracking) workshop in February with Ed Presnall and Mary Thompson was so exciting! There were 18 dog and handler teams working, plus a lot of auditors without their dogs. I really like Ed - he is a very successful trainer, judge and author, and likes to motivate people and their dogs. The working dogs (including me!) ran tracks both Saturday and Sunday through the campus of Sandhills Community College in Pinehurst, NC. My track began on a strip of pinestraw/grass, turned onto a brick area, then onto a sidewalk, up concrete steps and into a bricked courtyard (along the way I picked up a chicken leg from someone's lunch but Sandi made me give it up - with VST you have the opportunity to find real good stuff laying around!)

Sandi had a great time and learned a lot -she was very proud of me.

Next on our calendar was our ASCA tracking test (TD) last weekend. We had been working hard to prepare and our friend Gretchen was coaching us. The test morning was really cold. Sandi drew track 4 and we waited for our turn. Gretchen entered with her Weim "Obie" and drew the first track. When our turn came, we had to get in the car and drive to the field. I could tell Sandi was excited and nervous at the start flag (we need to work on this part!). I finally got started on my track, which went down the side of a hill, we turned a corner and then the whistle blew. Bummer. We restarted and then off we went again and I quickly found the glove at the end. I'll have to try this again after we work on accuracy and starts.

I've had an easy week this week - except my stomach was a little upset. It's better now. Sandi and I tracked on Monday and Friday, and this morning Sandi and I went to the Animal Protection Society training facility to work on some APDT Rally course work. If you go to my friend Niamh's blog you can see some photos (her person Barbara is much more on the ball about posting photos and updates!) Sandi will try to get a photo up here also.

Training is really fun, whether it's tracking (my favorite) or doing drill team or rally moves. I really am a lucky dog!

1 comment:

Niamh said...

Ayla,

I'm glad to see that you finally got Sandi to blog about all your activities (and let's do some more Rally soon). Isn't it great to get out there and use our brains and noses and have fun at the same time.

It makes me feel sorry for all the dogs who spend their lives tied outside on a chain. We are very lucky girls!

Your friend,
Niamh